Have you wondered what it is like to have straight teeth, or why having straight teeth is such a great benefit for your overall health? There are a variety of different benefits for why somebody would decide on wanting to straighten their smile. Many of us have crooked teeth or other imperfections in our smile, so the thought of straightening your teeth has probably crossed your mind.
But orthodontic treatment can do more than simply fix imperfections in your current smile. Achieving a new smile with orthodontics creates a wide range of benefits, some being obvious and some more subtle.
If you have been wondering what to expect from a new smile, here are some of the most common benefits:
- Oral Health: Having crooked or misaligned teeth offers the perfect hiding places for bacteria and plaque. This plaque and bacteria can build up quickly, and become difficult to clean. Straightening your teeth will allow for easier brushing and flossing. This will help prevent tooth decay. Straightening your teeth can also help with your overall gum health, preventing gingivitis and other gum diseases.
- Less Neck and Head Pain: Did you know that crooked teeth can cause a build-up of pressure in your jaw from the uneven pressure being placed on your teeth? This pressure can cause issues such as migraines, TMJ disorders, and issues or pain associated with chewing food.
- Easier Time Eating: Not only can a straighter smile help eliminate pain and discomfort that can be associated with eating, but it will also affect the way that you actually eat. Having misaligned teeth can prevent you from fully chewing your food properly. This could lead to potential choking, or digestive issues later on down the line.
- Improved Confidence: One benefit many patients are surprised by is that they have an increased sense of self-esteem and confidence. Because they feel more confident, they tend to feel content and start smiling more often. Whether it’s a social event, a professional presentation, or even just smiling in the mirror at home, many patients find a sense of comfort and a boost of confidence after orthodontic treatment.
- Overall Happiness: Finally, perhaps the most important potential benefit of a straighter smile is an improved level of happiness. Between the heightened confidence, the ability to smile more, eating easier, and fewer overall dental issues like cavities and gum diseases, orthodontic treatment often raises overall happiness and quality of life.
Should I Consider Straightening My Smile?
These are just a few of the many benefits to starting your orthodontic treatment, but the truth is there are even more advantages to a straighter smile. At SKS Orthodontics, our mission is to help patients throughout Syracuse, Fulton, and Fayetteville, NY achieve beautiful, healthy smiles through convenient orthodontic treatment. Many of our patients pursue a new smile for cosmetic reasons. While this is an important result of orthodontic treatment, it’s far from the only benefit of a straight smile. In fact, adjusting your smile with braces or Invisalign can provide a whole host of benefits for your personal and professional life.
Want to learn more about different orthodontic treatment options? Schedule a consultation with us today! In just a few short minutes, you can start your journey to a healthier and straighter smile. We can’t wait to hear from you, and we look forward to helping you achieve the smile of your dreams!