Which is better, metal braces or Invisalign? Well, each treatment has its pros, and cons, depending on the level of correction needed, lifestyle, and personal aesthetics. Figuring out which orthodontic treatment is right for you can be a difficult decision, especially when you are deciding between metal braces or Invisalign. Both are amazing options, but what plan is suitable for you may not be suitable for everybody.
The SKS Orthodontics team is here to help you make a well-informed decision on your treatment plan so you receive the best results. We’re proud to treat a wide range of orthodontic problems with expert treatments, including Invisalign, metal braces, and more. No matter what path you decide on, we will ensure it is the right one for you.
Pros for Invisalign
Invisalign has become a popular choice among patients over the last few years, and it is a great option for many. SKS Orthodontics is one of the top 1% of providers of Invisalign in North America, and we pride ourselves on staying up to date with the latest Invisalign technology. There are several advantages to choosing Invisalign over metal braces:
- You take them out to eat — For many people, being able to take out your Invisalign trays is a large positive. With Invisalign, there is no worry about food being stuck in braces, and you also don’t have to worry about what foods you are eating. With metal braces, there are certain foods you should avoid, like sticky candies and crunchy vegetables to name a few. Just make sure you brush your teeth and floss before inserting your trays back in to avoid tooth decay
- Fewer visits to the orthodontist – With metal braces, there are occasional mishaps and issues that can occur, like a bracket falling off or a wire coming loose, which may require you to visit the orthodontist or even the emergency room. Since Invisalign is removable, there is less of a chance of an issue occurring with your treatment.
- Virtually undetectable – Unlike braces, Invisalign is almost unable to be seen when you are wearing them. The Invisalign trays are clear and form right to your teeth, so for people that are more self-conscious about their smile with metal braces, having a clear tray is great. If you are looking for your orthodontic treatment to be discreet, then Invisalign is a great option.
- Less discomfort – Invisalign is the more comfortable option when it comes to treatment plans. Invisalign has smooth trays that fit right to your teeth, so there is no worry about sharp metal edges poking your cheeks or lips. If you, or your child, play contact sports, metal braces can also become an additional worry.
Pros for Metal Braces
Metal braces have been a long-time proven method to work in orthodontics. With its ability to help with multiple different issues, braces have become a trusted method to fix an array of orthodontic problems. Some reasons to choose metal braces are:
- You are unable to lose them – Metal braces stay in your mouth at all times. With Invisalign, although you are wearing them for 22 hours, there is still the possibility to lose them when you take them out to eat. While being able to remove Invisalign is a pro, if you are very forgetful and you lose your trays, you will have to pay for a replacement set, which can prolong your treatment plan. With braces, they cannot be removed by the patient, so there is no worry of losing them or falling off track with your treatment plan.
- Orthodontic issues – Metal braces fix most, if not all, orthodontic issues with just one treatment, braces! Whether you have crooked teeth, an overbite, or unevenly spaced teeth, metal braces can fix it all at the same time, although some treatment plans may take years.
- Customizable options – You can make your orthodontic journey more fun and exciting by customizing your braces. You can do this by picking fun colors for the bands, which can be swapped out and changed at each appointment. Think of it as a fun accessory!
- No change in speech – Although braces can be painful, patients don’t notice a change in their speech or speech patterns. With Invisalign, many notice they develop a lisp when wearing them.
Metal Braces vs Invisalign: What is Right For You?
At the end of the day, Invisalign and metal braces are both amazing options that have been proven to have worked with a variety of patients. Deciding between them comes down to personal choice, and orthodontic issues that are trying to be fixed. No treatment is one size fits all, but there is a treatment plan that is right for you.
At SKS Orthodontics, our goal is to make sure that you leave your appointments happy with the treatment plan that you decide on. We have provided treatment at our Central New York locations for over 60 years. Speak with an orthodontist at SKS Orthodontics today to figure out what treatment plan is best suited for you and your needs.